There are many health cost solutions that you can use to change your life when it comes to medical costs. We all have health and medical needs — even if it is nothing more than a regular checkup. However, as we all know, medical costs can really put a damper on our finances. This is why I felt it was important to create a guide that could assist you in learning various methods to save cash on these costs. Listed below, you will find ten essential steps on maximizing every dollar that you spend when it comes to the medical costs that you are likely to experience in life.
Save Money on Health Care Costs
1. One of the first health cost solutions is to ensure that you know the list of providers that are acceptable to your health insurance company. If you ensure that you attend only the providers that your health insurance covers, you are likely to save a lot of money. If you visit doctors that are not on the health insurance provider list, you will likely be responsible for all of the charges associated with the visit. This can easily go into the thousands if you are not careful.
2. This brings us to the next medical saving tip. This tip includes ensuring that you are medically covered by health insurance at all times. This can reduce your overall costs by as much as 80%! Let’s say that you had a doctor appointment that costs $100.00. If your health insurance covers 80%, then that means that you will only be required to pay $20.00 from your own pocket! That is a tremendous savings!
3. If you are given prescriptions by doctors, be sure that you have them state on the prescription that generic medications, or alternatives, are acceptable. Name brand medications are extremely expensive! However, if you opt for a generic, off-brand prescription, you are likely to save a lot of cash!
4. If you experience a medical problem, such as high levels of anxiety due to stress, the inability to fall asleep and stay asleep or even cramping associated with your menstrual cycle, you may elect to use over-the-counter herbal and/or natural remedies instead of setting up a doctor appointment and/or filling prescriptions that are issued by your doctor. Black Cohosh helps with cramps, St. John’s Wort helps with stress, and Melatonin can assist you in getting a good night’s sleep.
5. Many individuals do not realize it, but the Internal Revenue Service has some programs in place to assist in saving cash when it comes to medical bills. If you have a tremendous amount of medical costs throughout the year, you may be allowed to deduct these expenses. However, this is only permissible if the bills that you have accumulated are over 7.5% of the total income that you have for the year. In the long run, most medical bills accumulate quickly, and this percentage can be easily achieved in a year’s time.
6. If you are unable to afford a particular type of prescription that has been given to you by a doctor, it is quite possible that your doctor has a storage cabinet that is loaded with sample packages. In many cases, you may even be given up to a month’s supply of these medications for absolutely nothing! Free is always the best health cost solution!
7. Do you have a limited income? If so, you may qualify for government programs that cover medical costs. This is most commonly referred to as Medicaid. However, there are other programs such as Medically Needy, Disability, SSI, and Medicare. Those who have a limited income often find that they benefit from applying to these types of programs.
8. There are a number of facilities that work on an income-based scale when it comes to providing medical care to individuals. If you attend one of these clinics when you are sick, or need a provider for any other reasons, you will only be charged what is deemed appropriate according to the amount of money that you gross and net annually. This can provide a tremendous amount of savings to those who want to save money, or those that do not have money to blow on high cost medical care.
9. If you want to save money on medical costs, be sure that you are healthy! You can start with your diet. Be sure that you consume foods that are cultivated in an organic manner, and only those that are loaded with essential vitamins and nutrients.
10. Another health cost solution is to exercise regularly. It is ideal to stick to about three hours of exercise a week. You will end up feeling better, and optimizing your health on the whole!
There are many health cost solutions that you can use to save money on medical costs. Here, you have been introduced to ten different strategies — be sure to put them to work!
You have two choices when tracking your spending quickly and easily. You can use a paper-based system or a software-based solution. We have extensively reviewed both and found products that stand above the crowd. All use the envelope system of budgeting to maximum effectiveness:
Return to more free money saving tips with Practical Ways to Save Money.