Deciding whether to hire a credit repair firm, or doing it yourself, depends a lot on your willingness to work, as well as your ability to be organized and follow through on the process.
First you will need a copy of your credit report and credit score from each of the three major credit bureaus. Since creditors don’t all report to the same credit bureau, and some use more than one, it is important to see exactly what appears on each report.
Then you need to have a folder for each creditor that you will work with to fix your credit report. Keep notes, copies of letters, and a copy of the portion of the credit reports that are about that creditor. This will keep things organized and within easy reach while you work on improving your credit.
Basic Steps To Repairing Your Own Credit
- Get a copy of all 3 of your credit reports from the major credit bureaus;
- Go through each report and make a note of any errors, as well as good credit references left out of your reports;
- Write a letter to each credit bureau outlining the errors and omissions;
- Write a letter to each creditor who has not reported the good credit references you do have;
- After 30 days, get a copy of your updated credit reports
- Do more letters to the bureaus and creditors who haven’t taken the appropriate actions previously requested by you.
- Repeat the last item as necessary, until all items are cleared and posted, until at least 90 days have passed, then
- File a complaint with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) under the Fair Credit Reporting Act
Get free credit counseling advice to help you overcome your debt. Know All Your Options.
If you don’t have errors or omissions to fix, and just have bad credit, here is what you need to do to fix your credit score:
- Negotiate good updates with your creditors by either settling debts, or making payments on time until the debt is paid;
- Open a savings account, make regular deposits and leave the money alone;
- Apply for a low limit, or secured credit card, use it and pay it off each month, on time;
- Make all credit and loan payments on time or early.
You can also use the top credit repair companies to help you improve your credit scores:
Things don’t happen overnight, but after 6 or 8 months, you should see an improvement in your credit score.
Hiring Professional Help
If you really don’t want to deal with it yourself, and would rather a professional, we recommend one who is well-versed in the use of the Fair Credit Reporting Act to protect your credit, and who will handle all the detail work for you.
Many other credit repair firms charge by the number of disputes/deletions attempted regardless of whether they were successful, with Lexington Law Firm you can dispute as many as you like at no additional cost. Stop living with bad credit, learn what thousands already know about how to legally repair your credit online, quickly and easily.
If You Prefer Do-It-Yourself Credit Repair
The first thing you need is a copy of your credit report and score from all 3 major credit bureaus.
Access your free credit report from the big three major credit bureaus, TransUnion, Experian and Equifax, all on one easy to read report.
Then look at this written guide on how to repair your credit and follow the tips outlined. You need the one book that doesn’t fool around or put you on the edge of risk with your credit, Hidden Credit Repair Secrets: 3rd EditionHidden Credit Repair Secrets: That can fix your credit in 30 days (Volume 3) offers tips, and easy instructions you can follow to repair your credit yourself.
U. S. Government information on the Fair Credit Reporting Act
Credit repair can be done, but be sure you do it right. Finding a loan or credit card with bad credit isn’t hard, getting a decent interest rate can be. Find out what you need to do to repair your credit so you can qualify for loans and credit cards.
Return to Your Online Credit Report.